- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 15m
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- 15 1/2 ounces garbanzo bean (approx. 1 3/4 cup, or a 15.5 oz can)
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonaise (I just Hampton Creek Just Mayo)
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- dash nutritional yeast
- dash garlic granules
- pinch salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon water
Preparing the 'Egg Whites'
- Bring 2 cups of almond milk to a simmer. Add the kala namak and agar agar agar flakes and gently stir in for even distribution. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes to dissolve the agar flakes. *If you're using agar powder instead of flakes, simply adjust to 2 teaspoons of agar powder and simmer for 2 minutes. (Note: I haven't tried this recipe with agar powder myself, but this is the correct agar powder to liquid ratio for the same result.)
- Using a measuring up, or spouted cup, add liquid to the egg shaped mold. Refrigerate immediately for one hour (or more).
Preparing the 'Yolk'
- Prepare the 'yolk' while the 'egg whites' are in the refrigerator. Add the garbanzo beans and all remaining ingredients to high speed blender (I use a Vitamix). Blend for about 1-2 minutes. You want a hummus like consistency.
- I use the small side of a melon baller to create a hole at the base of the egg (where the yolk would normally be). Be sure not to carve too deep, as you will create a whole at the bottom of the egg.
- Insert decorating tip to the pastry bag, then fill with the yolk mixture. You're now ready to fill the eggs! Fill in a small circular motion where you created the hole at the base.
- Garnish with chives and paprika. Enjoy!!